I woke up (actually got up for a few minutes) at 7 this morning and looked outside hoping to see a snow storm. I was disappointed, there didn't seem to be any trace of it. Not that I wanted any more snow this winter(Oh please! I have had enough to last at least 10 winters), but there was talk about the university being closed in lieu of the weather conditions which didn't seem anywhere near possible. I went back to bed to have a little nap before starting my day (Yeah I know! its already 7, but if you know what sleep means to me, you will totally understand!) . At about 8:30, I woke up with a jolt to some loud sound, loud enough to actually wake me from my slumber! I assumed its the dumpster cleaning truck that usually creates such a ruckus in the morning. but - NO! I heard it again, more loudly and this time a flash of light came in through my window blinds (like a lightning). I ran to take a peek outside and lo! It was the electric transformer bursting.. And it was snowing cats and dogs! In just over an hour, there was almost 2-3 inches of snow accumulated. Just what I needed on a already freezing morning. Instantaneously, the power went out. I cursed myself for switching the heater off sometime during the night when I was all cozy and warm in my sleeping bag. No power meant, no hot water for bath, no way to cook, no wireless connection and above all no heating for the room!! I remembered the last snow storm where some people I knew didn't have power for over a week, I simply couldn't imagine going through that. A couple of my friends living in the same apartment came to my room for vetti talk about the weather and power cut. We sat huddled in sleeping bags, talking about the huuuge snowflakes that relentlessly showered on. By this time, we had heard that the university was closed for the day!!!
After soo many years, it felt great to hear "inniki leave". Fond memories of my school days came flooding back. I studied in a school that was so frugal when it came to declaring impromptu holidays on account of rains/floods. So many times, I have gone to school in knee-deep water when most other schools in the city remained closed. But I can never forget those days when my school actually did declare a holiday on such occasions. A bunch of us would be in the bus-stop, waiting for out blue-and-yellow school bus in the pouring rain, splashing in the puddles, praying hard that it wouldn't come and we have a holiday. Eventually someone who had the sense to call the school would let us know about the holiday and we would all go back home to a day of vettiness, sinking paper boats on the street puddles, hide-and-seek in the apartment, board games, TV cartoons and hot snacks! Hmm, those were the days!
2 comments:
ahhhh.......those days!!! nice post and blog name btw!!
Thanks Vai!! :)
Post a Comment